📖 The enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom. - Oxford Dictionary
📖 A form of government with strong central power and limited political freedoms. - Professor Furio Cerutti
📖 A strong central government that allows people a limited degree of political freedom. However, the political process, as well as all individual freedom, is controlled by the government without any constitutional accountability. -Thought Co.
Characteristics of Authoritarianism
❗️Limited political diversity.
❗️Support by the public is often gained by lies, fear and a promise of economic prosperity.
❗️Suppression of anti-regime/government activities and minimal engaging of public in political decisions.
❗️Vaguely defined political power that can quickly change over time.
❗️Electoral manipulation, including fraud, interference, and control of the media.
❗️Violence, especially against political opposition.
❗️Manipulation of information as a form of control.
Authoritarianism and Climate Change
Authoritarianism is responsible for the collapse of the small number of measures that were implemented to help handle the crisis.
🌍 Brazil and deforestation of the Amazon.
🌍 USA and the repeal of regulations to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
🌍 Growing relationship between ultraconservative leaders and denial of climate change.
Authoritarianism and Social Justice
There is a pattern of growing inequality under right wing authoritarian rule. The more right leaning and less democratic, the inequality in society.
❓ Do you see any of of these characteristics in your current government?
- Conceptualizing Politics: An Introduction to Political Philosophy - Furio Cerutti
- Democracy, authoritarianism and the climate emergency - Open Democracy
- Inequality under Authoritarian Rule - Terence K. Teo
- Modernism and Totalitarianism: Rethinking the Intellectual Sources of Nazism and Stalinism, 1945 to the Present - Richard Shorten
- Open Education Sociology Dictionary
- Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism, and Fascism - Robert Longley