Got a treat for you today pets, a simple and healthy-ish vegan banana bread recipe! Tell me it doesn’t look delicious! I dare you.
- 5 medium bananas (semi* to overripe)
- 1 and a half cups of all purpose flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 2tbp of plant milk
- All the chocolate your heart desires
- Walnuts or other toppings
*Tip: If you don't have any ripe bananas you can pop them in the oven at low heat for 20-30 minutes. When the skin turns black, take them out and they'll be a bit sweeter! MAGIC!)
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Use a potato masher to mash bananas into a chunky paste.
- Sift flour and baking soda into the banana paste and mix thoroughly until the mixture is fairly dry, but sticky.
- Add plant milk until a the mix forms into a texture that slowly, but easily, gloops off a spoon.
- Optional: mix in chocolate.
- Put the mixture in a loaf tin (for an extra crispy outer layer line the tin with coconut oil) and add optional toppings.
- Bake for 40 minutes until top is golden brown. Test that the centre is cooked by taking a knife and inserting it into the middle of the loaf. If the knife has sticky raw mixture on it cook for a further 5-10 minutes and re-test until cooked.*
- Remove from the oven. Enjoy warm (a personal fave), or leave to cool and serve later.
***Tip: If the top of the loaf looks like it's edging close to burning, turn the oven down to 100c while the middle continues to cook. Keep doing the knife check every 5-10 minutes.
As always, thanks for reading.